There are numerous free options available for taxpayers to obtain tax products, tax preparation and assistance in filing their tax returns:
- Forms and instructions are available online.
- LTPL will have paper copies of a limited number of popular forms available for free.
- Please contact us for an up-to-date inventory.
- Many libraries also have a master book of current federal forms available for reproduction. Library staff can assist you in finding and printing tax forms, although legal and ethical codes prohibit staff from giving income tax advice or opinions. (Some printed forms may not be available until late February)
- Depending on your age or income, you may be eligible for free tax preparation services — see specific information below.
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns in January. The deadline to file this year is Monday, April 15. Individual and business taxpayers no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. The IRS has taken this step because of the continued growth in electronic filing and the availability of free options to taxpayers, as well as to help reduce costs.
Contains a wealth of federal tax information and resources.
Federal forms and instructions. Also includes forms from previous years.
Forms may also be available at the local IRS office:
3251 N. Evergreen Drive NE
Grand Rapids MI 49525
Office information: (616) 365-4700
Make an appointment: (844) 545-5640
Mon‐Fri 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Popular Federal Forms
- Form 1040 | Instructions(Individual Income Tax Return)
- Form 1040X | Instructions (Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)
- Form W-4 (Employee’s Withholding Certificate)
- Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification)
State tax forms. Also includes forms from previous years.
Contact Center: (517) 636-4486
To request forms, select Option 2. Forms may not be requested through the Contact Center until mid-February.
Forms may also be available in mid-February at:
State Office Building, 2nd floor
350 Ottawa St. NW, Unit 17
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Popular Michigan State Tax Forms
- MI-1040 | Instructions (Individual Income Tax Return)
- MI-1040CR | Instructions (Homestead Property Tax Credit Claim)
- MI-1040CR-7 | Instructions (Home Heating Credit)
File your Michigan taxes online for free.
Current or past property taxes in Berrien County
Resources for free and fee-based online access to Berrien County’s land and property information.
AARP Foundation Tax-Aide provides in-person and virtual tax assistance to anyone, free of charge, with a focus on taxpayers who are over 50 and have low to moderate income.
Voter Info Page:
The Library cultivates civic engagement by connecting you with resources to help you register and be prepared to vote. To register to vote, check your voting status, find your voting location, or see your ballot, visit the Michigan Voter Information Center.